Every website I design for a client has been centered around a simple few key points. They all look at how to inspire something specific in the site visitor (from this point on we’ll call them a prospect since anyone on your site is a prospective client).
Anytime prospects are on your site they’re interested in something that piqued their interest enough that they clicked over to your site. So, if this prospect is on your site, we want to give them clear steps toward getting more of what they interested in and why they clicked over to your site.
In this post, I’ll share how this can look for the standard pages on websites that I design for clients. If you’re interested in learning more about how to prepare for this step, check out my Website Prep post.
Here are the top questions I ask clients when they share what they want to inspire in their prospects when on the page:
- What do you want them to feel?
- What do you want them to know?
- What do you want them to do?
That final question will lead you to what specially you’ll want them to do. (In marketing we use the acronym CTA for a Call to Action which is whatever you’re asking them to do.) Your CTA will vary by the page on your site as well as what your site visitor will know or feel before you close with the CTA.
Below I break down some common goals I’ve found from my work with clients while exploring what they want prospects to Feel, Know, and Do.
- Feel: hopeful, wanted, calm, adventurous, confident
- Know: they’re not alone, there are answers, they can do what they deeply want
- Do: get started on a new path, join a group for support, download a guide, browse the site
- Feel: inspired, hopeful, capable, optimistic, amused, accepted
- Know: others have overcome what they’re facing, they’re at a pivotal moment in their story, there is a way out of their current predicament, that you truly understand them
- Do: learn more about the work that you do, take action toward their goals, reach out to you for support
Note: the About page is one of the most versatile when it comes to what you’ll inspire for feelings from your prospects and what you can let them know or show them about you. If they’re reading that page they want to know more about you, your experiences, and how they relate to their experiences. The key to this page is to show that you understand your ideal clients very, very well.
Work With Me or Services
- Feel: that you precisely understand their current situation and struggles
- Know: that you can get them the results that they want, impacting their lives on a significant level
- Do: Book a consultation call, introductory offer, or package of services with you OR reach out to you with questions or to create a new package of services
- Feel: understood, that you’ll serve them with the info they need, you’ll respect their privacy if trusted with their email address
- Do: Share their email address to get your newsletter
This CTA for the subscribe page is just one simple task because the whole point of this page is to help them successfully subscribe, regardless of the rest of the website’s content.
Ready to keep getting more on how to market your business with copy that connects and a website that showcases your expertise? Get tips delivered to your inbox by subscribing below. You’ll get my free guide to Copy Updates as a thank you gift.